Developing AL Literature Subject Knowledge: Poetry
Why should you attend?
Poetry is an area of the curriculum in which English teachers often express a lack of confidence. Teaching poetry texts at A Level, or preparing students for unseen papers can seem daunting. This course will be about helping you to develop your own subject knowledge, with a focus on ways of preparing to teach a poet with whom you are not very familiar, as well as opportunities to learn more about some key aspects of poetry.
What will the course cover?
- Key ideas about the nature of poetry, to underpin your teaching of any poetry text.
- How to develop your own understanding of a poetry text you’ve never taught before (with the chance to work on a chosen text during the day).
- Unseen poems – developing your own confidence in exploring any poem with your class.
- A selection of critical material to support your thinking and guide your future reading in the genre.
- A close focus on some key aspects of poetry, including rhythm, form and voice.
NB. This course will draw on previous courses on teaching poetry at A Level.
Feel so much more prepared and confident to teach poetry now.