Developing Critical Readers at KS3 and KS4
Why should you attend?
We talk a lot in English about critical writing but less so about the reading practices that underpin it. This course deals directly with those practices, exploring what critical reading looks like at KS3 and KS4 and how best to teach it. You will be introduced to a range of strategies and texts for developing critical reading, including ideas about developing whole text understanding in young people, as well as teaching them to focus appropriately on textual detail. You will leave with a wide range of resources to use immediately or adapt for your students.
What will the course cover?
- Building progression into a critical reading curriculum.
- Exploring critical reading and literary texts.
- The relationship between critical analysis and critical literacy.
- Working with non-fiction.
- Using challenging texts for critical reading.
- Drawing on different models of response to demonstrate critical reading.
Very informative, practical, evidence-based.