Developing Great Readers at KS3&KS4
Why should you attend?
It’s commonly recognised that students who engage widely with reading attain more highly than those who don’t. Reading, then, needs to be at the heart of any successful curriculum. And it is the responsibility of English teachers, more than others, to develop great readers. This course explores the multiple aspects of reading that go into an English curriculum. You will have the chance to evaluate a range of different strategies, with a particular focus on how they might apply to different age groups. You will leave with an increased knowledge about which texts work well with students, along with ideas about how to teach them and resources to use immediately or adapt for your classroom.
What will the course cover?
- Building progression into a reading curriculum.
- Exploring critical reading of literary fiction and non-fiction.
- Promoting reading for pleasure inside and outside the classroom.
- Strategies to unlock difficult texts.
- Developing different models of response for engagement and assessment.
As always, so much to take away to immediately transform my teaching. Looking forward to putting it into action on Monday.