Disappointing Results for A Level Literature – Tackling the Problems
Why should you attend?
This course draws on EMC staff’s extensive work with teachers and directly with students, to improve results in English Literature A Level. It will help you to explore the reasons behind students’ underachievement and offer you classroom strategies for sharpening up your own teaching, developing students’ sense of what’s needed in the exam and working with them on their writing. The focus will be primarily on exam performance, though many of the generic issues may be of relevance to the non-examined assessment as well.
What will the course cover?
- Common reasons for disappointing results, with practical and creative strategies for addressing these issues.
- Developing students’ confidence in reading and analysing texts effectively.
- Ways of working on issues to do with student writing.
- Sharpening up your teaching to support students in exams.
- A chance to talk in small groups on issues of concern.
NB. This course will draw substantially on previous EMC courses on ‘Disappointing Results for A Level Literature’, ‘Close Reading’, and ‘Improving Writing in A Level Literature’.
Superb mix of activities and information – an exemplary CPD session!