Doing News for Media and English Specialists (23.6.21)
This half day course from the English and Media Centre and the Guardian Foundation Education Centre will develop media teachers’ understanding of the newspaper industry and English teachers’ awareness of writing and responding to broadsheet newspapers and provide practical strategies and resources to use in the classroom.
What will the course cover?
- Writing, editing and communicating news stories for print and web
- Ownership, audience and analytics
- Developing students critical analysis skills of the media
- The different types of news writing including features and opinion
- Teaching strategies and classroom resources.
Choice of workshop:
- Tackling news for GCSE and A Level (for media specialists)
- Reading and writing the news (for English specialists).
- This course will be limited to 60 participants.
- As participants may be audible and visible, this course will not be recorded.
- Workshop choices will be made on the afternoon.
- Course materials will be sent out in advance. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive any PowerPoint presentations and resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 21st June, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- To book a place on this course, first sign in to your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 22nd June. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email email@example.com.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.