Effective Approaches to Close Reading and Unseen for A Level Literature
Why should you attend?
Close reading skills are key to achievement at A Level. The ability to respond to language, structure and form, exploring the detail of a text while forming a coherent interpretation, is what examiners are looking for. On the current specifications the skills of close reading and the ability to respond to unseen texts are more important than ever. This course will provide sharply focused, challenging and engaging ways of developing students’ ability to respond to text extracts, use textual examples and apply their reading skills to unseen texts.
What will the course cover?
- Exploring what we mean by good close reading, with examples and models.
- Practical approaches to develop students’ skills in responding to drama, poetry and prose.
- Sharpening up students’ abilities to balance the close analysis of language with the development of a coherent reading of a text.
- Comparative close reading.
- Strategies for helping students to write effectively in exam, including in response to unseen texts.
A very useful course – the whole day has left me feeling invigorated and keen to get back to the classroom to test things out!
So good to have innovative, practical ideas that can be applied, not just to close reading papers, but to the teaching of any literary text