EMC CPD Online: A Level English Language: New Ideas for a New Term (6.10.21)
This conference will fuel you for the new academic year with ideas and research from three linguists. Drawing on their own work and research, these speakers will offer you an introduction to some key topic areas and some new thinking about how to teach them. More details will follow soon, but the presentations will be:
An Introduction to UK Accents and Dialects
- With Natalie Braber, Professor of Linguistics at Nottingham Trent University
New Approaches to Charting Language Change
- With Robbie Love, Lecturer in English Language at Aston University
Language, Identity and Popular Culture
- With Paul Flanagan, Senior Lecturer in English Language at the University of Chester
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Introduced by Dan Clayton and featuring sessions from Natalie Braber, Robbie Love and Paul Flanagan
Information about booking your place and joining the course
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 4th October, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
If someone else is booking the place on your behalf, please confirm with them that the booking has been made online and that the automated acknowledgement has been received. (These emails sometimes go into junk – they can also check the booking by logging into their account and clocking 'My orders'.)
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 5th October. Please make sure the name and email address of the person attending is included in the booking. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
It is so interesting to get insights from researchers about what they are investigating now. I feel like it's a wonderful way to keep the A level content current and to be up to date with some key language issues. The speakers were knowledgeable and engaging, and shared their research and reflections generously.