EMC CPD Online: Cultivating an Inclusive Reading Culture and Community (Afternoon 12.10.22 2-3.30pm). Part of the 2 for 1 offer – see 'How to book'.
The short online course is being run in partnership with the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE), drawing on their groundbreaking ‘Reflecting Realities – Survey of Ethnic Representation within UK Children’s Literature’. It will provide you with the chance to think hard about the reading culture that you want to create in your English department and in the wider school community, with a particular focus on inclusivity in relation to ethnic minority representation. What exactly does this look like? What does it mean for existing provision? Why is it important for students? We want you to leave this course not just with ideas about which texts to teach, but with increased confidence about how to approach any text in an inclusive way.
What will the course cover?
- Evaluating your book stock.
- Text mapping of core provision.
- How to adapt and add to your core provision.
- Critical engagement with books.
- The reading journey from primary to secondary.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
Course tutor: Andrew McCallum and Farrah Serroukh
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Literary Shorts, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
Farrah Serroukh is Research and Development Director at the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education. Throughout her career, Farrah has been committed to amplifying marginalised voices and advocating for inclusive practices both within and outside of the education sector. As a member of the CLPE teaching team, she contributes to the design, development, and delivery of the charity’s Learning Programme. In her role as the Research and Development Director, she leads on the charity’s research work which includes the CLPE’s award-winning annual Reflecting Realities Survey.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 10th October, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. Your code will be sent within 3 working days of booking.
Please note: bookings for this course close 8am on Monday 10th October. The 2nd free place must be booked before the closing date, so please make sure you give yourself enough time!
Your voucher can only be redeemed online and is only eligible against this course.
(Any issues please email Lucy.)
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 11th October. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email us.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.