EMC CPD Online: An Inspector Calls – Inspiring Strategies (21.10.21)
One of the most popular texts at GCSE, An Inspector Calls has plenty to offer in the classroom. However, it can be easy for students to get so caught up with the historical context and moral message that they forget to respond to the text as drama, or to analyse Priestley’s methods. We will explore how to keep a balance in teaching the play and offer practical classroom approaches. The course will assume that you are familiar with the play.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe and Kate Oliver
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4 courses. She has recently developed her first EMC publication, an EMC Teaching Novels pack for The Bone Sparrow. Lucy is also an English teacher, Key Stage 3 Coordinator and Professional Development Leader in a secondary school. She has recently qualified as a Lead Practitioner, using her EMC novel project work as the basis for researching writing across the curriculum. She is particularly interested in English curriculum design at Key Stage 3.
Kate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for The English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her favourite aspects of English teaching are creative writing and poetry. She also has a particular interest in the wider implications of the subject such as getting students reading for pleasure and engaging teachers of other subjects with language across the curriculum. She is taking the lead on EMC’s involvement with Cheltenham Literature Festival’s ‘Reading Teachers=Reading Pupils’ programme. Her most recent publications for EMC are KS3 Poetry Plus, Just Write and Animal Farm: An EMC Full Text Study Edition.
Information about booking your place and joining the course
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 19th October, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
If someone else is booking the place on your behalf, please confirm with them that the booking has been made online and that the automated acknowledgement has been received. (These emails sometimes go into junk – they can also check the booking by logging into their account and clocking 'My orders'.)
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 20th October. Please make sure the name and email address of the person attending is included in the booking. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.