EMC CPD Online: Analysing Language Discourses for AQA AL English Language
This short course, aimed at teachers of the AQA English Language A Level, is designed to help you teach the Language Discourses part of the course (Paper 2 Section B) confidently and with fresh ideas. Taking some recent texts about language as starting points, we will explore analytical approaches informed by linguistic theory, discuss the bigger picture and the small details, consider links between texts and wider language debates and think about developing varied classroom approaches.
In this session you will:
- Focus on new and up-to-date texts about language
- Discuss what ‘language discourses’ are and where they come from
- Consider linguistically-informed approaches to discourse analysis
- Develop classroom resources that avoid joyless, relentless text analysis.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be visible or audible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Course tutor: Dan Clayton
Dan Clayton is an education consultant at the EMC, a teacher of A level English for 20 years and author/editor of many books for A Level English Language. He tweets about language from @EngLangBlog.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the first session will be sent out on Wednesday 9th December You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email email@example.com.
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 8th December or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.