EMC CPD Online: Classical Texts and Cultural Conversations – Antigone Re-imagined (Afternoon online 19.7.22 2-3.30pm)
This course is part of the 2 for 1 offer – see under 'How to book' for details of the offer
This new session is the third in a sequence exploring the notion of the English curriculum as a series of important cultural conversations. It will introduce a forthcoming EMC publication about Antigone, The Facility and Other Texts – Antigone Re-imagined*, where a contemporary playwright, two poets and two fiction writers have written new texts for a KS3 audience, inspired by Sophocles’ play. There will be a chance to look at, and try out, some of the classroom resources introducing both Antigone and the new texts. After the course, attendees will receive a voucher for a free copy of The Facility and Other Texts – Antigone Reimagined.
* Publication supported by the Classical Association.
What will the course cover?
- Exploring the idea of cultural conversations as an approach to the English curriculum
- A taste of one or two of the new texts, specially written for KS3 students, including a one-hour play, designed for the classroom
- Some strategies and classroom approaches, introducing Antigone, and the new texts
- Some videoclips of students working on the new drama, to explore how a play can be worked on with KS3 classes.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a voucher for a copy of The Facility and Other Texts – Antigone Re-imagined when. it is published.
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Course tutor: Barbara Bleiman
Barbara Bleiman is an education consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education and has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including several resources on poetry, novels and language study. Among these are Doing Close Reading, Studying The Handmaid’s Tale, Sight/Unseen Poetry, KS3 Poetry Plus, as well as Curriculum Conversations: Going on an Odyssey. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’ and has a strong interest in ideas about the curriculum, developing the idea of ‘cultural conversations’ as a challenge to the notion of cultural capital. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. She is also a Fellow of the English Association. Barbara is the author of two novels, Off the Voortrekker Road and Accidents of Love, and has recently published a collection of short stories, Kremlinology of Kisses.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Bookings close 8am Friday 15th July, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. (Your code will be sent within 3 working days of booking. Any issues please email Lucy.)
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Monday 18th July. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.