EMC CPD Online: Approaches to Poems of the Decade for Edexcel A Level English Literature
This session will draw on previous CPD on ‘Poems of the Decade’, to offer ways of teaching the anthology that encourage the kind of assured knowledge, sense of ownership of the poems and independent thinking that will allow students to approach the examination questions and unseen poem with confidence and flexibility.
This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Course tutor: Barbara Bleiman
Barbara Bleiman is an education consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education and has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including resources on poetry, novels and language study. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. Barbara is also the author of two novels and has recently published a collection of short stories, Kremlinology of Kisses.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 27th April, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- To book a place on this course, first sign in to your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 28th April. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
I really enjoyed the course; it was so refreshing to engage with poems that I don't teach and to model how to encourage deeper engagement with poems in a way that didn't rely on 'techniques'.