EMC CPD Online: Curriculum as Conversation – Poems that Inspire at KS3 (29.6.21)
After a brief introduction to the ‘curriculum as conversation’ model, this concept of curriculum planning and pedagogy will be exemplified in practice through a poetry unit for KS3. There will be a chance to try out draft materials from the unit and think about how these contribute to developing students’ thinking and experience of the subject, with diversity and conceptual understanding at the heart of the curriculum.
There will be a voucher for those attending the course to receive a free copy of the download unit, when it is published by EMC.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
Course tutor: Barbara Bleiman
Barbara Bleiman is an education consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education and has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including resources on poetry, novels and language study. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. Barbara is also the author of two novels and her collection of short stories, Kremlinology of Kisses, was published by Blue Door Press in November 2020.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Friday 25th June, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- To book a place on this course, first sign in to your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Monday 28th June. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email email@example.com.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
I would give it 10 stars if I could. A 90 minute session took me just over three hours of watching and re-watching to get all the ideas down - 12 pages (25 sides) of notes because there was so much to capture. I’m now well-used to Barbara Bleiman’s talks being brilliant but somehow she managed to make this one the best yet. Quite extraordinary - like watching a Zen master in action.