EMC CPD Online: EMC Poetry Playlist – Teaching Contemporary Poetry at KS3 (Twilight 8.12.22 4.15-5.45pm.) Part of the 2 for 1 offer – see 'How to book'.
We will be dipping into EMC’s new poetry anthology EMC Poetry Playlist and exploring ways to approach some contemporary poems in the classroom. You will go away with plenty of food for thought, a KS3 teaching sequence you can use straight away and a voucher which you can use for £10 off the anthology (or any other EMC publication of your choice).
Course tutor: Kate Oliver
Kate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her favourite aspects of English teaching are creative writing and poetry. She also has a particular interest in the wider implications of the subject such as getting students reading for pleasure and engaging teachers of other subjects with language across the curriculum. She is taking the lead on EMC’s involvement with Cheltenham Literature Festival’s ‘Reading Teachers=Reading Pupils’ programme. Her most recent publications for EMC are EMC KS3 Poetry Plus, Just Write and Animal Farm: An EMC Full Text Study Edition.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 6th December, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. Your code will be sent within 3 working days of booking.
Please note: bookings for this course close 8am on Tuesday 6th December. The 2nd free place must be booked before the closing date, so please make sure you give yourself enough time!
Your voucher can only be redeemed online and is only eligible against this course.
(Any issues please email Lucy.)
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout.
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 7th December. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email us.
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
Thoroughly enjoyed the session. I felt that experiencing the methods of teaching poetry as if a student in a class was incredibly powerful. Loved the creative approaches advocated and how it was all about feeling and responding not about feature spotting.