EMC CPD Online: English for Non-specialists
Each session of this course for non-specialists is designed boost your knowledge and equip you with skills and strategies. As most non-specialists are teaching at KS3 this will be our main focus, but the principles and approaches can also be applied to GCSE. The equivalent of a full day, this course will be run in three, linked twilight sessions and will include plenty of resources and classroom ideas. There will be an opportunity for some interaction to explore how some of the activities would work with students. This course will run with limited numbers to allow for a more interactive and personalised experience and a chance to have your teaching questions answered.
Session 1 (Wednesday 4th November)
- What is English? Core principles and practices.
- Ways into reading: fiction.
- Ways into reading: poetry.
Session 2 (Thursday 26th November)
- Teaching creative writing.
- Scaffolding non-fiction writing.
- Assessing writing.
Session 3 (Wednesday 9th December)
- Teaching vocabulary, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Teaching the 19th century: working with a Victorian short story.
- This course will be limited to 30 participants.
- Due to the interactive nature of this course (with people encouraged to have their cameras on at various points) this course will not be recorded
- For some sessions course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe and Kate Oliver
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4. She is also an English teacher and Key Stage 3 Coordinator in a secondary school.
Kate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for The English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her most recent publications for EMC are KS3 Poetry Plus and Just Write and she is currently working on Animal Farm: An EMC Full Text Study Edition.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- This course must be booked online. Payment by invoice is available for this session, provided you are signed into a 'School User' account. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the first session will be sent out on Tuesday 3rd November. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email email@example.com.