EMC CPD Online: English for Non-specialists (session 2)
This session forms part of our course English for Non-specialists. It is not available for booking separately. Please see Wednesday 4th November to book your place.
Each session of this course for non-specialists is designed boost your knowledge and equip you with skills and strategies. As most non-specialists are teaching at KS3 this will be our main focus, but the principles and approaches can also be applied to GCSE. The equivalent of a full day, this course will be run in three, linked twilight sessions and will include plenty of resources and classroom ideas. There will be an opportunity for some interaction to explore how some of the activities would work with students. This course will run with limited numbers to allow for a more interactive and personalised experience and a chance to have your teaching questions answered.
Session 2: Thursday 26th November
- Teaching creative writing.
- Scaffolding non-fiction writing.
- Assessing writing.
- This course will be limited to 30 participants.
- Due to the interactive nature of this course (with people encouraged to have their cameras on at various points) this course will not be recorded
- For some sessions course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe and Kate Oliver
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4. She is also an English teacher and Key Stage 3 Coordinator in a secondary school.
Kate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for The English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her most recent publications for EMC are KS3 Poetry Plus and Just Write and she is currently working on Animal Farm: An EMC Full Text Study Edition.
How to book your place
- This session forms part of our course English for Non-specialists. It is not available for booking separately. Please see Wednesday 4th November to book your place. (Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 2nd November, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.)