EMC CPD Online: KS3 English – Curriculum Principles & Practices (Full day 28.9.22)
Departments are currently taking a long, hard look at KS3, with a real focus on diversifying the curriculum, building sequencing into curriculum plans and meeting Ofsted requirements. In this full day, online course, Lucy Hinchliffe and Andrew McCallum will present you with ideas for exciting and challenging KS3 content and pedagogy across the three years, including brand new EMC publishing material. The course will also explore KS3 curriculum and assessment development, offering some adaptable ideas for your school context.
What will the course cover?
- Principles for curriculum at KS3
- Ideas for new texts – short stories, novels and poems
- Sequencing your curriculum
- KS3 reading and writing
- Assessing KS3.
NB. This is a repeat course
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe and Andrew McCallum
Lucy Hinchliffe is EMC’s Research & Projects Lead consultant. Her work is focused on exploring how English is taught in schools and how EMC can best support this through publications and CPD. She also specialises in KS3 and KS4 courses at the Centre, and has contributed to several publications, including the EMC Teaching novels pack for The Bone Sparrow, and EMC Poetry Plus. Lucy was an English teacher, KS3 Coordinator and whole school CPD leader in an outer London school prior to joining EMC full time.
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Iridescent Adolescent, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
- This course will run with limited numbers.
- On these longer EMC online courses, we try to make good use of Zoom's interactive features, such as breakout rooms and live Q&A. This requires people to unmute their microphones and, preferably, to turn on their camera. If you would like to take part but will not be able to unmute your microphone, please email Kate to discuss whether the course is suitable for you.
- As participants may be audible and visible, this course will not be recorded.
- Please note: courses are designed to be watched by one participant only.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course, as well as a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- Course materials will be sent out in advance. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
Information about booking your place and joining the course
Bookings for this course close at 8am on Monday 26th September or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- If someone else is booking the place on your behalf, please confirm with them that the booking has been made online and that the automated acknowledgement has been received. (These emails sometimes go into junk – they can also check the booking by logging into their account and clicking 'My orders'.)
- This course must be booked online. If you pay by card that is a big help to us as a small, not-for-profit organisation. Please only ask to be invoiced if required by your school. If you need to pay by invoice, you must be signed into a 'School User' account. You will not be able to request an invoice if you have one of the short courses in your basket at the same time. These must be paid for in advance.
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- Please note: courses are designed to be watched by one participant only. If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket. If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 27th September. Please make sure the name and email address of the person attending is included in the booking. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email Maria.
Really informative and innovative ideas. Awesome to brainstorm and get ideas from other teachers.
Brilliant resources, time for hard thinking and discussion with colleagues from so many different contexts, as well as the excellent facilitators.