EMC CPD Online: Mixed Attainment Teaching in English
Recent research suggests that mixed attainment teaching not only leads to better results for the majority of students, but also improves student engagement and well-being. This course explores effective strategies for teaching mixed attainment classes in English. It will focus on:
- How to adapt a single curriculum for nearly all students
- Which curriculum content works best with mixed attainment classes
- The importance of choice, connection and cognition in mixed attainment teaching.
After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe & Andrew McCallum
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4. She is also an English teacher and Key Stage 3 Coordinator in a secondary school.
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Literary Shorts, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 22nd September. Please check your junk or promotions folder.