EMC CPD Online: NQT Package – Tackling Your First Year of Teaching with Confidence
Why should you attend?
This NQT package includes 3 CPD sessions spread across the autumn term plus a voucher which will give you free access to three more of our short CPD sessions.
Each session focusses on a key area of the curriculum to boost your knowledge and equip you with strategies. Beginning your teaching career at this time raises particular challenges and we will have the current situation in mind, but the sessions will also look ahead to the kind of teaching you will be doing in more normal circumstances, giving you principles and approaches that will stand you in good stead throughout your career. There will be an opportunity for some interaction to explore how some of the activities would work with students. This course will run with limited numbers to allow for a more personalised experience and a chance to have your teaching questions answered.
What will the sessions cover?
Session 1: Teaching the 19th Century
Wednesday 9th September, 4-5.30pm
- Teaching 19th century context.
- Approaches to the Victorian novel.
Session 2: Poetry
Thursday 8th October, 4-5.30pm
- Ranging across a poetry anthology.
- Teaching specific poems – some approaches.
Session 3: Writing
Wednesday 11th November, 4-5.30pm
- Teaching writing at KS3, with GCSE in mind.
- Ideas for teaching non-fiction and fiction writing.
- This course will be limited to 30 participants.
- After booking you will receive vouchers for free access to three additional EMC CPD short sessions, usual price £30.
After each session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe & Kate Oliver
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4. She is also an English teacher and Key Stage 3 Coordinator in a secondary school.
Kate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for The English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her most recent publications for EMC are KS3 Poetry Plus and Just Write.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website please add this to the additional information box.
- This course must be booked online. Payment by invoice is available for this session, provided you are signed into a 'School User' account. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out the day before each session. Please check your junk and promotions folder.