EMC CPD Online: Starting to Teach English Language A Level
If you are (or are about to be) teaching English Language for the first time, this course will give you an introduction to most of the key areas. It will suggest ways to develop both your own knowledge and your students’ understanding of the building blocks of language analysis and the main approaches to sociolinguistic research used on all AS & A Level courses. Assuming no prior knowledge of English Language teaching and not focused on one particular specification, this course will equip you to take on the first year of teaching with confidence.
What will the course cover?
- The nuts and bolts of text analysis.
- How to explore meanings in different kinds of texts.
- Sociolinguistic topic areas such as gender, accent and dialect, and sociolect.
- Debates and arguments about language.
- Encouraging student-led research and writing.
This course will be limited to 30 participants.
The course will be organised into two 90-minute sessions, with a 30-minute break in between.
All teachers attending will receive a free ticket (usual price £40) to the emag econf online conference on 15th September (see separate listing for this event).
All teachers attending will receive a free digital version of EMC’s Language Frameworks (usual price £45), as well as the PowerPoint and a PDF of resources from the day.
Course tutor: Dan Clayton
Dan Clayton is an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, a teacher of A Level English for 20 years and author/editor of many books for A Level English Language. He tweets about language from @EngLangBlog.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website please add this to the additional information box.
- This course must be booked online. Payment by invoice is available for this session, provided you are signed into a 'School User' account. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Thursday 3rd September. Please check your junk and promotions folder.