EMC CPD Online: Teaching Poetry at A Level
‘Teaching Poetry at A Level’ is a 90-minute session. It will offer some key principles for teaching poetry, exemplified with a few practical activities that can be adapted for the texts you are teaching, drawing on the A Level poetry CPD offered by EMC in the past few years. The session will touch on the following issues:
- How to teach an individual poem – principles and one strategy
- How to teach poems in an anthology or cluster of poems – principles and one strategy
- What is good writing about poetry at A Level?
After the session you will be emailed the PowerPoint and other resources used on the course.
Course tutors: Barbara Bleiman & Lucy Webster
Barbara Bleiman is a consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education, has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including resources on poetry, novels and language study. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. Barbara is also the author of two novels and has a collection of short stories coming out next year with Blue Door Press.
Lucy Webster is an advisory teacher at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS5. She co-edits emagazine, runs courses and writes and edits publications.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 6th October. Please check your junk or promotions folder.