EMC CPD Online: Top Marks at GCSE – Non-fiction Reading
Reading non-fiction is a particularly challenging part of the GCSE syllabus for some students, particularly for those required to respond to 19th century texts. This short course offers ideas, resources and strategies to help your students grapple with non-fiction unseen texts, including:
- Strategies to unlock the meaning of whole texts, or text extracts
- A close focus on language and structure
- Ways into comparing texts.
Attendees will receive a voucher for 10% off single copies of EMC’s Sight Unseen: Non-Fiction.
After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course.
Course tutors: Lucy Hinchliffe & Andrew McCallum
Lucy Hinchliffe works as an education consultant at the English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 & KS4. She is also an English teacher and Key Stage 3 Coordinator in a secondary school.
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Literary Shorts, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 21st September. Please check your junk or promotions folder.