EMC CPD Online: Using EMC’s Diverse Shorts to Teach Critical Thinking
This course explores how the mainly contemporary texts contained in EMC’s bestselling Diverse Shorts anthology can be drawn on to boost critical thinking in the English classroom. It will consider:
- Which texts best engage young people critically
- How to move from personal response to critical response
- How to introduce genuine range and diversity into your literature classroom.
Attendees will receive a voucher for 10% off single copies of Diverse Shorts.
After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course.
Course tutor: Andrew McCallum
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Literary Shorts, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Monday 7th September. Please check your junk or promotions folder.