EMC CPD Online: Using EMC’s Iridescent Adolescent Anthology to Prepare Y9 for GCSE Study
Iridescent Adolescent is a new EMC anthology that picks up where Diverse Shorts left off by introducing students to a wide and eclectic collection of stories from writers both new (e.g. Phoebe Roy, Jamil Jan Kochai) and established (e.g. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Kamila Shamsie). Intended to be used as a stepping stone to GCSE, the stories lend themselves perfectly to developing students’ understanding of challenging literary texts, while also working as brilliant, enjoyable reads in and of themselves.
In this session you will:
- Explore how students can range across a collection
- Learn about how all students can manage challenging texts
- Think about how students can move from the big picture to smaller details
- Reflect on the value of teaching diverse and contemporary texts.
Course tutor: Andrew McCallum
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Literary Shorts, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be visible or audible.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the first session will be sent out on Tuesday 24th November. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 23rd November, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.