EMC CPD Online: What Matters in English Teaching – Knowledge
This is a repeat of Barbara Bleiman’s highly successful presentation on knowledge last term – the second in her series exploring what matters in English teaching.
A recent focus on knowledge in schools, and in the subject curriculum at secondary level, has led to serious questioning and debate about what we actually mean by knowledge. In this presentation (with Q&A) Barbara will draw on ideas in What Matters in English Teaching to explore many of the issues that have been most exercising people’s minds, including:
- What we think about the divide between knowledge and skills in English?
- What is ‘powerful’ or important knowledge in English?
- Are knowledge organisers a good idea?
- What do we mean by cultural capital and is it helpful to apply this term to the English curriculum?
In the course of her presentation, she will offer some practical examples, including using a short text extract, to demonstrate a few key ideas about knowledge in our subject.
Organisation of the session:
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Presentation by Barbara (60 minutes)
- Break, with the submission of questions (20 minutes)
- Responses to questions (20-30 minutes).
While forming part of the ‘What Matters in English Teaching’ series, this online CPD also works as a standalone session.
After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation and any resources used on the course
Course tutor: Barbara Bleiman
Barbara Bleiman is a consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education, has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including resources on poetry, novels and language study. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. Barbara is also the author of two novels and has a collection of short stories coming out next year with Blue Door Press.
How to book your place
- Please sign in to the website, add the course to your basket and checkout.
- If you are booking a place for someone else, or want the joining information to go to an email other than the one you used to sign into the website, please add this to the additional information box.
- Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 16th September. Please check your junk or promotions folder.