English for Non-Specialists
Why should you attend?
This course is for teachers who are teaching English without having an English-related degree or other formal training in the subject. It will provide you with an understanding of the core principles that lie behind the effective teaching of language and literature, explore practical strategies for teaching key constituents of the subject (Shakespeare, the class novel, poetry etc.) and leave you with a wide range of resources to use immediately or adapt for your students. You will also go away with five recent EMC publications to resource your teaching.
What will the course cover?
- What you need to know about grammar, vocabulary and punctuation to teach English effectively.
- How to teach an effective literature lesson.
- How to develop students’ reading and writing skills.
- Developing your knowledge of wider reading.
- Planning for effective classroom talk.
- How to mark student work in English.
What a fantastic course. I’m overwhelmed with ideas, in a great way.