Face-to-Face CPD: Starting to Teach English Language A Level (Full day 9.9.21)
This one-day face-to-face course will take place at The English and Media Centre in London (see right for address and map). The course will be limited to 12 participants.
If you are (or are about to be) teaching English Language for the first time, this course will give you an introduction to most of the key areas. We will explore ways to develop both your own knowledge and your students’ understanding of the building blocks of language analysis and the main approaches to sociolinguistic research used on all AS & A Level courses. Assuming no prior knowledge of English Language teaching and not focused on one particular specification, this course will equip you to take on the first year of teaching with confidence.
What will the course cover?
- How to develop confidence, knowledge and skills for analysing texts
- A look at the different types of text and data typically found at A level
- An introduction to sociolinguistic topic areas such as gender, ethnicity, accent and language change
- A survey of some of the main debates and arguments about language
- How to encourage student-led research and writing.
NB This is a repeat course. For details of the online version of this course, see the entry for 16th September.
How to book your place
Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 7th September, or when capacity (12) is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course must be booked online. If you pay by card that is a big help to us as a small, not-for-profit organisation. Please only ask to be invoiced if required by your school. If you need to pay by invoice, you must be signed into a 'School User' account. You will not be able to request an invoice if you have one of the short courses in your basket at the same time. These must be paid for in advance.
- To book a place on this course, first sign into your account on the website, or register one if you need to.
- Click 'Book online' (right-hand column) and fill in the name and email address of the person attending the course. The joining information and post-course email will be sent to this address.
- If you are booking for more than one person, repeat the process.
- Then hover over your basket (top right) and click checkout. You cannot update number of places booked from within your basket. If you want to book another place on the course, return to the course page and go through the same process.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
Please do not book travel until you have received confirmation that this in-person course is running. You will receive this confirmation no later than one week before the course date. (For details of timing, centre address and map, see right.)
Really knowledgeable, and not only eliminated my fears of teaching this new subject but made me excited to teach it too.
Excellent information and explanations. Practically useful with loads of great classroom ideas.