Language Change and Attitudes to Change
Why should you attend?
This course focuses on Language Change for the AQA English Language A Level, but will also include material relevant for other specifications. Looking at how and why language changes, we will consider patterns, processes and models of change, exploring areas such as technology, political correctness, social change and migration. Along with the how and why, we will look at the responses to change, from the earliest complaints about language to the most recent media storms over new words and meanings. The day is designed to give you plenty of material to use straight away with students and a range of ideas for further lessons.
What will the course cover?
- The basics of language change processes, linked to examples and case studies.
- Theories and models used to describe and explain change.
- Arguments and debates around language change.
- Ideas for introductory lessons and student projects to suit your students’ interests.
- Ways to develop and maintain subject knowledge.
NB. This is a repeat course.
A superbly-organised and tremendously well-delivered workshop.