Non-Fiction for KS3: New Texts and Approaches
Why should you attend?
It can be hard to source really good non-fiction texts for KS3 which prepare students for GCSE while engaging a younger audience. On this course we will consider what works for different year groups and explore the best ways to teach critical reading of non-fiction texts as well as ways to make links with fiction and with students’ own writing. We will look at a range of texts across different genres covering the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. You will have a chance to try out draft materials for a forthcoming EMC publication with some exciting new non-fiction texts and plenty of classroom material you can use immediately.
What will the course cover?
- Fresh classroom activities, drawing on EMC’s forthcoming publication.
- Linking reading and writing skills to maximise progress.
- Using KS3 to prepare effectively for KS4.
- Developing close reading skills.
- Exploring how students can bring contextual knowledge to texts.
- A selection of rich and interesting texts to take away.
As always, a brilliant, practical course! I now have lots of strategies I can use in the classroom tomorrow.
I have come away with a little validation, a lot of ideas and an enthused state of mind. Wonderfully delivered material – thank you.