Teaching Big Picture English at KS3
Why should you attend?
This course will draw on research and theory about English teaching that demonstrates the importance of starting with the ‘big picture’ – in other words, with whole texts, contextualised approaches to language study and links to students’ own lives. Not only does such an approach have the potential to develop your students’ linguistic repertoires and literary awareness, it also makes English a vibrant, engaging subject. You will leave with an abundance of resources and ideas to make yours a ‘big picture’ classroom.
What will the course cover?
- Research-informed rationale for teaching ‘big picture’ English.
- Whole text approaches to teaching literature.
- Big picture language study – contextualising the small stuff.
- Big picture forms of response and assessment.
- The importance of critical literacy.
NB. This course will draw on three previous courses: Reinvigorating KS3, Getting Your KS3 Curriculum Right and Creating a Distinctive KS3 Curriculum.
Fantastic. Lots of practical strategies. Really valuable to have the space to do some deeper thinking.