Teaching the Gothic for OCR A Level
Why should you attend?
OCR’s Gothic component features texts which venture into dangerous territories in ways that are both exciting and challenging. This course will provide opportunities for you to develop your own subject knowledge, as well as try out activities and resources to fuel your teaching of individual texts within a thematic and generic area. One session will include a lecture from David Punter, Professor of English Literature at the University of Bristol and the author/editor of many books on the Gothic, including The Gothic (with Glennis Byron) and A Companion to the Gothic.
What will the course cover?
- Key tropes, motifs and concepts.
- Ways of reading – a close focus on your chosen text.
- Creative and critical approaches to close analysis.
- Extracts to provide literary context and to use for unseen preparation.
- The texts in context: how to use literary, historical and generic contexts effectively.
- Making effective use of criticism.
NB. This is a repeat of the course held in the summer term 2016.
When applying for this course, please let us know which texts you have chosen to teach.
'Brilliant and highly practical. Wonderfully resourced and illuminating.'
Fantastic, informative and fun!
'Fantastic, informative and fun!'