A pupil book with a diverse range of non-fiction texts from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries with activities designed to help pupils to develop the skills they will need for GCSE. From a look at what the latest research tells us about the sleeping teenage brain to hilarious advertisements for 19th-century quack cures, the texts have been carefully selected to appeal to this age group and to suit a range of abilities.
- Build pupils’ skills and stamina with a huge range of texts to amuse, inspire and provoke discussion.
- Activities on 19th-century texts are designed to build pupils’ knowledge and understanding of historical context.
- Use texts singly, or teach a collection of thematically linked extracts with comparison work.
- Activities include big picture and close reading activities, and encourage both personal and critical responses.
- Opportunities for a range of group, pair and individual work, as well as critical and creative writing.
Non-fiction Shorts is included in EMC KS3 Curriculum Plus.