Pat Barker discusses her World War 1 novel Regeneration.
This download publication includes:
- an extensive video interview with Pat Barker
- a PDF of additional resources:
a transcript of the interview
a chapter-by-chaper summary of the novel
a selection of primary source material to contextualise the novel
five articles on the literature of World War 1 from the emagazine archive.
The interview has been divided into the following sections:
- The idea of the novel
- The title
- A perspective on the First World War
- Fact and fiction
- Prior, Owen and the minor characters
- Exploring notions of masculinity
- The women in the novel
- Owen and Sassoon: the poetry
- Language and protest
- Narrative voice and style
- First World War fictions at the end of the twentieth century
- The novel and the film
This interview was originally published in The Modern Novel: Enduring Love and Regeneration in 2001.
Viewing and using this print-only PDF
To use this PDF you need Acrobat Reader 7 or above. You can download this free program here.