EMC's complete photocopiable PDF study guide on Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel with classroom activities, resources on contexts and different readings, plus a video interview with academic and novelist Adam Roberts.
This downloadable publications offers:
- Strategies to support students in reading the text independently.
- Creative approaches for teaching about language, structure and form.
- Discussion of key themes, including analysis of the way themes are created and understood.
- Ways of putting the text in its wider generic and literary context, as an example of post-apocalyptic fiction.
- Critical material, including print extracts from interviews with McCarthy.
- Ideas for wider reading, if you’re teaching the text for coursework.
- Colour screengrabs from the film adaptation.
The interview with Adam Roberts is divided into the following clips:
- Science Fiction, Apocalyptic Fiction and The Road
- The Road and Post-apocalyptic Literature
- The Child
- The Openness of the Ending
- Good Guys and Bad Guys
- Ambiguous Symbols
- A Pared Down Style
- The Handling of Time
- The Impact of the Novel
Important information on accessing your download publication!
As soon as you have placed your order, your download publication will be available to download in your account. This publication includes a PDF and zipped folder of video clips. Please note: the zipped file of video clips is very large and will take some time to download.
- Before you sign out or leave the website, click 'My Account' (top right).
- Click the link which says: View your purchased downloads, and re-download them.
- Click on the PDF icon next to the publication you want to download.
- Click on the ‘zip’ icon – this zipped folder contains your video clips.
- The publication will download to wherever downloads normally go on your computer (often your desktop or a Downloads folder).
- If you want to download the publication at a later point, sign in to the main account used to buy the download, then follow the instructions above.
Click here to download a guide on accessing downloadable publications from your account.
Viewing and using your download publication
This publication includes a PDF and a folder of video clips (in flv format). These can be played with the free VLC Player (details below).
To use this PDF you need Acrobat Reader. You can download this free program here.
The video clips can be played using the free program VLC Player, available to download here.