EMC CPD Online: Using Nature Writing to Support GCSE English Language
- £25 per place
- 90 minutes
Nature writing can be a particularly rich resource for language analysis, as well as a fantastic stimulus for writing. With its focus on close descriptive detail, its incorporation of multiple forms (memoir, popular science, journal, travelogue, opinion piece, environmental treatise etc.) and its fascinating subject matter, it ticks all the GCSE boxes and can bring life and vitality to the rather dry Language specifications.
Drawing on texts from Awe and Wonder: An EMC Anthology of Nature Writing, this cross-spec course will help you to develop your students’ reading and writing skills, while inducting them into an important non-fiction genre that has the potential to form a cornerstone of what George Monbiot (in an essay in the collection) terms ‘an ecological education’.
The ideas and resources provided by the course will work with a wide range of texts (Nature or otherwise), regardless of whether or not you purchase Awe and Wonder. However, to reflect the promotional element to the course, it’s priced at a lower rate than usual – but with the customary £10 voucher and 2-for-1 offer.
Online, via Zoom. Details of how to join will be sent before the session.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
Andrew McCallum is Director of the English and Media Centre. Prior to that he ran a PGCE course in secondary English, and previously he taught for 15 years in London schools, spending most of that time at Acland Burghley School in Camden. He holds a doctorate in education, is author of Creativity and Learning in Secondary English (Routledge) and writes regularly for NATE's Teaching English magazine. If asked to name the EMC publication he's most proud of having worked on, it would be a three-way contest between Iridescent Adolescent, Diverse Shorts and Write On.
- Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 21st November, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
- Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. Your code will be emailed to you as soon as we have received your booking.
- Please note: bookings for this course close on Tuesday 21st November. The 2nd free place must be booked before the closing date, so please make sure you give yourself enough time!
- Your voucher can only be redeemed online and is only eligible against this course.
(Any issues please email Lucy.)
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- To book this course you must be signed into one of the following accounts (registering an account first if you need to):
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard (non-purchasing) account you till not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 9 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Checkout. (Payment by invoice is not available for this session.)
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen 'Your order was a success!' You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 22nd November. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email us.